Our mission is to:
Restore the Earth and Inspire Ecological Stewardship.
Inspire communities to rediscover a sense of place through preserving indigenous ecosystems, restoring biological diversity, and inspiring ecological stewardship.
A bold mission, but is it possible in today’s ever changing world? You bet it is. Since pioneering the practice of ecological restoration in the 1980s, Biohabitats continues to remove the boundaries between conservation biology, restoration ecology and landscape ecology with landscape architecture, civil engineering, and urban planning. Our work strives to be more than “sustainable;” it strives to be regenerative. Behind all of our work is an intention to respect Earth’s ecological limit, heal damaged ecological processes, and catalyze mutually beneficial relationships among the land and all forms of life.
We envision a time when:
- form (our business) follows function (restoring the earth);
- opportunities allow us to unselfishly apply our trade, assured that the accounting will take care of itself;
- conservation, restoration and regenerative design are not add-ons, but integrated components of all land use decisions;
- ecological sustainability and biodiversity are not just buzzwords, but a way of life;
- our economy recognizes the true value of natural capital and ecosystem services; and
- restoration is an inherent part of doing business.
We envision a company that:
- squashes fear of failure and rewards risk taking and creative problem solving;
- recognizes that the sum (our collective work) exceeds the parts (our individual talents);
- respects the natural world, evaluates all of its actions based on the 7th generation, truly fosters ecological stewardship; and
- is fun, celebrates every success and failure, and brings joy, happiness, and fulfillment to everyone’s life.
We believe we have an ethical responsibility to safeguard and regenerate Earth’s natural and cultural resources. We promote, integrate, and foster this stewardship in all of our projects, relationships, and actions. We advocate ecological protection and restoration as a ritual to rejuvenate the human community and link it with the larger biotic community.
In support of our beliefs we pledge to:
- pursue and focus work on conservation planning, ecological restoration, and regenerative design initiatives;
- pursue opportunities to offer turn-key services: design/build/maintain;
- pursue business relationships and opportunities founded on providing value and service, forfeiting volume for quality;
- empower our staff, associates, clients, and vendors to reach their full potential;
- foster a learning organization that instills trust, encourages risk and initiative, and instills joy and pride;
- pursue a fair and reasonable profit; and
- pursue conservation planning, ecological restoration, and regenerative design opportunities throughout the world without being constrained by geographic, cultural, and political obstacles.